Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Scribing Suggestions

Through my work, I've had the opportunity to scribe for several self advocates.

For those who are unaware of what scribing is, it is carefully listening to self advocates
and recording their thoughts.

Usually, this is done because a self advocate might have difficulty getting their own thoughts on paper.

As I watch others try to scribe, and as I speak to the self advocates that I work with, I have learned that it's not as "common sense" as I thought, and I've been asked to write down a list of suggestions for those who are scribing (with notes also to those who are being scribed for).

I'm posting it here with hopes that it is useful.
If this is useful to you, please send feedback.



In Their Words:
Only write down what the individual is saying to you.
These are the individual’s thoughts, and it’s important to capture
what they are saying to you.

What’s the Message?
Focus on the message, not the individual words. Edits can be made later on if needed to change words.
(This is a note for the individual who is being scribed for)

Say It!
There is nothing “too stupid” or small to write down. Your thoughts are important!
(another note for the individual who is being scribed for)

What Did You Say?
It is fine to ask the person to repeat themselves. If you need help understanding them, ask for help!
Take the time to understand the message and record it accurately.

Review It!
Always re-read what is written or have the self advocate review what is written, so that they
have the opportunity to make changes or edits.

Suggestions:
Remember that you scribing for a person might not be what they need.
First, allow them to be independent by showing them other ways to record their thoughts such as by using a computer.

Side Note: I can't express how important it is to take the time to scribe correctly. Many self advocates that I have worked with have told me that they need to hurry up and finish their thoughts because that's what they are usually told to do. In many instances, I have been scribing for a self advocate and have to remind them to breathe because they are speaking so fast.  This should NEVER be the case when you are scribing for an individual. It's so important to give the individual that you are scribing for enough time to express themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment